Thursday, January 5, 2012

BBC # 47, A Christmas Carol

Once again, evidence of Charles Dickens' Genius is displayed in A Christmas Carol. The story follows Scrooge, a man who believes Christmas is foolish and serving others pointless as he is visited by ghostly visions that teach him the true meaning of Christmas and even our life on earth.

This story is one of the most widely known Christmas stories. More movie variations of it have been made than I can count. Every year thousands of theaters across America show off local and professional talent portraying Scrooge and Tiny Tim. It is a classic by definition.

This year I read it with my husband just before Christmas, finishing with the last chapter on Christmas Eve. I was amazed again by Dickens' greatness. He masterfully had me laughing and then close to tears in a single page. Without the need of a question mark he asked poignant questions about the meaning of life, our interpretation of God's will, and the consequences of our choices.

I've read it before and watched at least 4 of the movie versions, but never have I been so moved as I was this time! Maybe it was reading it just before Christmas or my own loss of a family member in the last couple years or a sign that I'm finally maturing, but this book held meaning for me that I will cherish.

And as Tiny Tim says, "God Bless us, Everyone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment